You know.... those times when something great happens but there are some not so great things that go along with it. I know that everyone has had these moments. Graduating from high school, getting married, pretty much any life-changing event has it's ups and downs. For us, here are just a few.
About a week ago we found a new apartment and decided for sure that we are going to move. We love the new place, love the area, love that we won't have to commute to work anymore, and just LOVE it! So what's wrong with this picture. Well for one, we are going to have to leave our little apartment that we have been in for the past 4 years. And you would think that after 4 years in a small 2 bedroom apartment we would be ready for an upgrade, but we've still loved this place too. We've had great neighbors, an awesome ward, and granted we do live in the "ghetto" of Provo, but the ghetto's been good to us. This place had seen us through Christmas's, birthdays, births, new furniture, new cars, lots of fun home decor, and a ton of other things that aren't so physical. So many good times were had, freinds were made, and memories were created. So yes, we are so excited about a change, but we are also sad to leave a part of the past 4 years behind us.
I was also released from Young Women's yesterday. I have been working with these girls for almost 3 years now. And when I first found out that I was going to be released, it was like a huge burden was lifted from my shoulders. No more mutual activities every week, no more stressing if I offended this girl or that, no more having to deal with young hormonal/attitudal teenagers. But I love them. I love laughing with them, crying with them, seeing them show up every week to be with us. I love that their testimonies have grown so immensely that they aren't even the same girls they were a year ago. And I think my favorite thing is watching as they finally grasp a concept that they didn't get before. It's like a light turns on and they think "Oh wow, I get it now!" I am going to miss that. And I am especially going to miss the other women who I've served with. They are truly amazing!
We are going to miss our whole ward in general. There aren't many families that have been there longer than us, and being here has been a great experience. I hope I can always remember the feel of the Freedom 2nd ward. You know, its easy to have faith and realize your material blessings when you are well off (not that being financially well off doesn't have it's hardships), but since we have been here I have seen people who have no material blessings. They have nothing. They cut their own hair, wear donated clothes, and have stop by the food bank to feed their families. I've seen so many single mothers, struggling to get by and not complaining about it. But they still come to church every week, and they still are so sincerely grateful for everything that they have. They are the examples for me. And to be honest, I'm a little bit scared to leave this place and go somewhere more financially stable. I'm scared that I will forget to always be grateful for the blessings that I have, even if they aren't the blessings I WANT. This ward has provided us the opportunity to serve in ways that we never thought we would. And we've been blessed for it. I'm a little bit nervous to give that up. But I am excited to see where I'm needed next...it'll be an adventure I'm sure!
I guess every good thing has to have it's opposite. And when we make decisions, we have to take the bad as well as the good. And just maybe, if the bad wasn't there, the good wouldn't seem so good. So I'm going to try and take the "bitter" part of the sweet moments and be grateful for it, because I think THAT is what makes it so sweet.
Monday, July 13, 2009
Bitter-sweet Moments
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Amen Sister!
But, you left me hanging- where are you guys moving to?
I hope one of the "sweet" moments for you is knowing you have another willing sitter for Sawyer anytime! I hope you'll love American Fork as much as I do. Good luck in the new home!
Everything has it's way of working out... Congrats on everything coming up for you guys! :)
man i almost teared up reading that! I LOVE THAT WARD SO MUCH TOO...well said. good luck with your new life where will you be living? weare in veags so when you come down give us a call
;)
Post a Comment